Guest Book

The Manchester Unity Building is home to a handful of residents and just over 100 small businesses. As well as countless patrons, it attracts thousands of visitors every year, including participants in the Melbourne Opera House tours.

Do you have family members who worked on or in the building in its early days?
Have you toured the building? If so, would you like to share your experience?

You are invited to publish here stories or comments of interest. Also welcome are any documents, pictures of memorabilia, or relevant historical information.

• I worked for Manchester Unity years ago and have fond memories working in this beautiful building and working with wonderful friends......

Irene23-12-2013 2:56 PM

• Hi and firstly congratulations on the maintenance and historical preservation of such a beautiful Melbourne icon. It is wonderful to see people take such pride in the history of these buildings! Secondly my great grandfather completed the illustrations in the foyer of the building, apparently Marcus Barlow was a supporter of his work. Do you have any records or documentation around these friezes? I would be so excited if there were! Thanks so much.

Catherine18-09-2013 1:56 AM

• I have just had the pleasure of viewing the video tour of this magnificent building. What a treat! Dr Kia, your commitment and dedication to it's restoration is truly inspirational. Bravo. Melbourne is incredibly fortunate to have you.

Romany Lambert07-09-2013 10:44 PM

• I was in Melbourne for a few days this week and waiting for a tram I looked up and just became mesmerised by this building. In all my years of travel I cannot remember a building that has evoked such a response. When the next tram came along I elected to miss it much to the chagrin of my girlfriend. To Dr Kia and I am sure a cast of thousands, a simple thank you for preserving such an inspirational piece of Australia's history. No, it's too precious to be labelled a building, it is a piece of sculptural living breathing art. It is now on my bucketlist to return and maybe one day find a way to tour the building.

Peter Lloyd Culley06-09-2013 12:20 AM

• Dear Sir/Madam, I would very much appreciate any information about how I get on the ballot list for 2014 or subsequent years, to have a chance of a tour of this wonderful building. Kind regards, Maria Symeou....

Maria Symeou28-07-2013 9:10 AM

• My grandfather edward cooper built the manchester unity building. as it was built in just a matter of months it as a huge feat of engineering for that time and apparently nearly killed him inhis efforts.

kerrie hansen27-07-2013 1:10 AM

• My father was a member of the M.U.I.O.O.F. for many years, he has now passed away and I have his Robes and some other items relating to the Lodge, I any body would be interested in them for display. You can contact me on the above email address, Regards. Peter Guthridge.

Peter Guthridge26-07-2013 1:45 PM

• Congratulations on your restoration of such an iconic building. My grandparents, Stanley & Mary Simpson ran a tailoring business in the building in the 1940's(?). As my parents are deceased we don't have any details. Is there a register of businesses in the building? And can information of a that paticular business be made available. I'd like to include such info in our family history. Many Thanks Wendy Basham

Wendy Basham26-07-2013 9:22 AM

• My mother started work with The Direct Supply Jewellery Co., on Level 1 of this building, in 1944 at the age of 18. It was wartime and there was a shortage of silk fabric, amongst other things. So my mother, who was a natural seamstress, cut strips of silk from the shirt-tails of her employer, Mr Aaron Cohen (when we wasn't wearing them!), and used this fabric to replace the shirts' worn collars. In gratitude, Mr Cohen gave her a treadle Singer sewing machine – a very valuable gift at the time. My mother used this machine (which I now own) to sew beautiful tailored garments for my sister and me as we were growing up. In days gone by, jewellery companies also sold cutlery, china and glassware (as some still do), and my mother remembers how she loved the fine bone china made by Shelley of England that Direct Supply had for sale. When dental practitioner Dr Kia Pajouhesh bought Level 1 of the building in 2003, the lettering "Direct Supply Jewellery Co." was still clearly visible on a large door uncovered in the renovations. When Kia subsequently bought the building's historic boardroom as a meeting room for his practice, he set about collecting fine period glassware and porcelain to grace the recessed shelves, possibly unaware that this had been the stock-in-trade of the business once operating from his dental premises on Level 1. My mother recently saw photos of the beautiful translucent Shelley teacups Kia had collected as a full set and she was reduced to tears. "He is a good man," she said. No doubt Mr Cohen would agree.

Sally Moss16-05-2013 2:44 AM

• Please note comment by John Payne. Walter H Best's daughter was Zoe who married Norman Bisset

Robert Millar22-04-2013 12:45 AM